Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Re-purposed Wall Hooks


My most recent craft project has been re-purposing a wall hanger with hooks for Annabelle's room. Below is a "Before" picture. It used to hang in our apartment by the door to house keys. Moving was not good for it however, since you can see the paper is peeling off in the corners. I have always loved this piece for its functionality. So, I decided to make it into something "cutesy" to hang in Annabelle's room.


First, I peeled all the paper off of it. This step probably takes the longest and the most patience. Then, I sanded it with sand paper. This removes some of the chipped paint, smooths it out, and even gets off some of the last bits of paper.


Sorry, I forgot to take pictures of these middle steps, so I'll just describe them to you. First, I used a screwdriver to remove the hooks. Then, I painted the whole thing white (it took 2 coats to cover the cream color and bare wood). Once the white paint was thoroughly dry (about an hour), I taped off 1 3/4 in strips with blue painter's tape. I then added the purple stripes (again, it took 2 coats). Once those were dry, I peeled off the tape and replaced the hooks.

For this step, I used decoupage (found at any craft store) and scrapbook paper. I used paper from the same "scrap pack" as the paper I used to make the letters for Annabelle's name (I'll post those later). I used my paper cutter to make the green square, then very carefully cut out the butterfly and polka dots from some of the patterned pages. The "a" is typed into a Word Document (Times New Roman, bold, lower case) and sized to fit. I went to Format>Font>then clicked Outline and printed it on white paper and cut it out. I used the decoupage to glue it all down. After it had dried (about 20 minutes), I used a paintbrush and brushed two coats of decoupage over the entire surface (being careful to avoid the hooks).

And, here is the finished product! It can now be used to hang jackets, headbands, paci clips, or anything else a little princess might need!

1 comment: